FORM AND FUNCTION OF QUALIFYING OR DESCRIPTIVE ADJECTIVES
1. An adjective qualifies or describes a noun. Depending on how linked these adjectives are to the nouns they describe, they can play the role of an attribute to the noun (noun modifier) (close or loose attribute)—>a nagging mother/Tired, she ordered the children to go and sleep.
2. The adjective can be used in the predicative sense(predicate adjective)
*subject predicate: His smile was very meaningful/ The water is five feet deep. There is a linking verb between noun and its description or adjective.
*object predicate: ‘Objective predicative’—–> I considered the job simple/The court found the lady guilty of child abuse. The child sucked his mother dry. He held the lady tight.
3. An Adverbial Modifier: Whether good or bad, all bosses bully their workers./ When calm, let him in. /If guilty, land him in prison.
NB:Adjectives can be in post positions, yet playing the attributive role. I have a garden larger than yours/ The man arrested lives in Houston.
* Adjectives modifying indefinite pronouns are in post position: I will do everything possible to release him. Nothing good comes easy.
Form of adjectives
*Adjectives can play a comparative (two things) or superlative role(more than two things):
I—–> Comparitives. These take -er for shorter syllable adjectives and more for longer syllable adjectives. America is larger than France/The better nurse comes from Africa/ He is more powerful than his sister.
I—–> Superlatives. These take -est for shorter syllable adjectives and most for longer syllable adjectives. The largest ocean is the Pacific/ The best soccer player is C. Ronaldo/ Susan is the most educated of the three children.
TYPE AND ORDER OF QUALIFYING OR DESCRIPTIVE ADJECTIVES.
*An adjective qualifies or describes a noun, giving it a unique feature. Example a handsome man, an intelligent student
Man is a noun, name of a being, but the speaker wants us to see something particular about him: ‘handsomeness’. Same holds for student ‘intelligence’
*Some global aspects described by adjectives according to : teacherphil.com in Youtube.com——> N.O.S.A.S.C.O.M.P = 1. Number, 2. opinion 3. size 4. age 5. shape 6. color 7. origin 8. material 9. purpose.
1. Number: We placed the number under determiners during our previous lesson, yet it has qualities like the qualifying adjective.
> Three strong boys are bringing the drum/ Many games are played in olympic competitions.
2. Opinion: This gives a personal, that is, subjective impression or description to the noun. Not all on-lookers may see the same way as the speaker when describing.
>A good man is loved by all. This is a description that may not be appreciated by everyone in the same way. Other examples: A silent class, our nagging mother, an intelligent student, a shameful event
3. Size: The noun described by this type of adjective is perceived in form as big or small. Example: a petty occasion, a grand occasion.
4. Age: The adjectives of this group attribute time or duration to nouns. Example: With immediate effect/an old man
5. Shape: The adjectives of shape describe the structure of the object, person or place. Example: an oval ball, a round table, a circular object.
6. Color: The various colors of the spectrum, rainbow and other mixed colors can give a particular description to an object. Example: A yellow car, this white paper, a dark complexion.
7. Origin: The noun in this case is described with its origin. A Japanese dish, an American company
8. Material: The substance or material used in the object can be used to describe it. Examples: A stone cottage, a clay pot, a carbon print, a wooden bench.
9. Purpose: The use of an object can be helpful in its description. Example: A travelling bag, a weighing bridge.
NB: This is the order in which the adjectives appear in case you want to use them in describing the same noun.
Example: A Three(number) year old(Age) girl = a three year old girl/ An interesting(opinion) brief(age) refreshing(purpose) tour= an interesting brief refreshing tour. We cannot say: *an old three year girl/ *a brief refreshing interesting tour.Consult the above link to get further details