Imagine the human activities: littering plastics and hydrocarbon wastes, destruction of biodiversity! If these continue as seen in these pictures till 2035
Imagine an accumulation of hydrocarbon emissions into the atmosphere for so many years
Imagine also, the destructive work of fire on the environment.
MY IMAGINATION ON THE CONSEQUENCES OF THESE ACTIVITIES ON THE ENVIRONMENT IN THE PLAY: PLASTOSPHERE:…
A combination of these wastes, accumulating over a hundred years, and ending in 2035, is channeled to the Middle of the Atlantic ocean by a great flood to form a certain floating Island which we call in the play Plastosphere, derived from the words ‘plastic’, ‘atmosphere’, and ‘sphere’.
The four thousand (4000) survivors of the great flood are saved by floating plastics in the middle of the ocean. They are quite ingenious to compact this to an island.
HOW THIS ISLAND LOOKS.
PLASTOSPHERE, THE FLOATING ISLAND IS COMPARED TO THIS FLOATING CANOE MADE OF PLASTIC BOTTLES
The consequences of these reckless activities are not far to seek.
- Suzy-Maquillo’s speech becomes ‘robot-like’ as the sound pollution causes her to make sentences without determiners. Do we, humans, not speak and act nowadays like Suzy-Maquillo?
- Gastro gets uncontrollably fat with constant feeding on genetically modified organisms and working nothing to eliminate the toxic substances. How many of us prefer which extra-large table birds to locally grown fowls?
- Global warming causes men to fabricate ozone depleting appliances like the air-conditioners to combat the rise in temperature. How does one artificial solution cause another greater problem?
- Acid rain threatens the poor as the rich. Imagine the skin diseases associated with it!
- Above all we imagine an oily black rainfall in the play that will cause Plastopherans to stagger back to reality. This is my fear fear for the imaginary gloom awaiting the earth with this negligence on environmental protection.
CONTINUATION OF THE ERRORS MADE BY PLASTOSPHERANS DESPITE THE CLIMATIC AND ENVIRONMENTAL MISHAPS
- They believe creating a world which is dominantly controlled by man-made devices is conquering nature. Pete, a major character even names his company: ‘Taming nature limited’
- Greed makes them not to see any reason to clean up plastic wastes, reduce hydrocarbons and industrial emissions into the atmosphere. Plastic producers are the richest in the world.
- A life of physical effort is sacrificed and so idle characters like Gastro are many.Obesity is the order of the day.
- People pride in the isolation of the gadgets .Suzy-Maquillo, a fan to robots and artificiality, sails in the sea of gadgets and starts speaking with no determiners as a robot. Gadgets isolate her to the social realities of her time until her machine prescribes absolute abstinence from them to get cured of her defect.
- Greed for profit at the expense of environmental conservation continues.
THE SUFFERING GREEN CHARACTERS OF FRICA IN CONFLICT WITH THE ENJOYING GREEDY CHARACTERS OF PLASTOSPHERE
Bob Ecolo, the main character of the play, tirelessly preaches naturalness, bio-conservation to the die-hard pollutants. He falls in love with Philo, the daughter of Pete( a greedy billionaire and an environmental menace), and makes her to see the beauty of nature. Gastro, the brother to Philo, also joins this train and fights his obesity in eating fruits and involving himself in effort demanding activities like a forest guard. Lucie also pressurizes her toxic husband to rehabilitate a wasteland, destroyed by his company
After the black rainfall and the deportation of Plastospherans to their original natural abode in Frica, several projects are carried out by the billionaires to save face: Pete and company develop several natural parks, nuclear wastelands are rehabilitated etc. They are nevertheless disappointed that it is not as profitable as the gadgets which fill the pockets in no time.
Pete, Teqno, Dr Robot, and Toxico, remain stubborn in their greed. They fight the environmentally friendly characters(Bob Ecolo and co) by trying to destroy their major source of income, the Ndzondzene Park, which is reputed for age-old trees and bio-conservation. To crown it all, Teqno, a master planner of the evil designs of destroying the environmentalists’ haven, is involved in a fatal accident that makes him to lose his senses. He confesses their evil plans in sporadic outbursts of startling utterances. The battle ends in son, Gastro, facing his father, Pete, in court to uncover his evil deeds to the environment. Sanctions are pronounced against the empire of Pete.
I AM GRATEFUL GUYS! FOR SPENDING YOUR TIME ON THE ENVIRONMENTAL CRY IN READING MY POST!
COMING UP NEXT
PLASTOSPHERE AS A LANGUAGE LAB PLAY OR DRAMA FOR GRAMMAR.
Discover our grammar analysis in a conversation using 2225 multiple choice questions on grammar.